Friday, May 7, 2010

Ready Readers

Something that is very close to my heart is early literacy. This is not to say that a child should necessarily be reading at an early age but rather that a good foundation should be laid. I've had some good success with early reading skills for my girls and I just thought I would share some of the best techniques and tricks that have worked for us.

It's never too early to start building literacy skills. Just tailor the technique to the age and level of development.

INFANT:

  • CLASSICAL MUSIC: Instead of buying classical music CD's and trying to keep a CD player close at hand, I would just play Classical music from the radio. For me WYSU 88.5 plays classical music from 9-2 every weekday. I would turn this on the radio from a central location in the house all day. That way I knew the girls were hearing it and it was one less thing to think about.
  • RHYTHM: At the infant stage I don't even think that tactile books really make that much of a difference. I say this because in early infancy the child is most aware of the close care giver, and not so much interaction with the outside world. As with classical music, this is a stage of building rhythms and connections in the brain. Because of this, when the girls were really little, 0-3 months, I wouldn't read children's books at all. I would read things that were very rhythmical. For example, I would read books of poetry, or my personal favorite, Jane Austin. Believe it or not, although her books are not poetry they do have a very rhythmical and soothing tone.
  • TACTILE BOOKS: Once the girls were a little older (sitting up and becoming more aware of their surrounding) I would put Jane Austin down and go for the books that they could experience. These are the books that they can touch, feel make sounds with, etc. This brings the books to life, just like everything else in the child's life. Their world is becoming interactive.
  • FOAM LETTERS: From the time the girls were out of the baby tub and in need of bath toys, those inexpensive foam letters were their constant companion. I just thought that bath-time was a great time for letting them play with the letters and for myself to play with them and make sounds and games out of the letters. Then when they would get older we would make hide and seek games with the letters, "can you find the B", etc. A fun song to sing here is: "The B say b, the B says b, every leter makes a sound, the B says____". At this last part pause and see if they are able to say the sound. They may surprise you :)

TODDLER:

  • TV IS NOT THE ENEMY: I have never been one to boycott the TV. Let's face it, sometimes we just have to get things done and nothing can make a child slow down and sit like Elmo. I am selective though. In this world of DVR and every channel under the sun, I have never found it very hard to find something developmentally appropriate and in some way educational. I use the library greatly for resources. Books on video/DVD are great: Dr. Seuss, Chicka Chicka Boom boom, etc. FAVORITE video: Leapfrog, "Letter Factory" and then "Word Factory". I get these from our local library all the time.
  • STARFALL: www.starfall.com. This is a GREAT website for pre-readers, and readers. It is FREE. My kids love it and it is easy to navigate. Maria at 3 1/2 was able to navigate it herself!
  • READ and then LET READ: I have a box of books that stays close to us always! I may rotate the books one a month or every few weeks. These are solid good books that I am my girls love. For my two year old they are the tactile, very simple books. Colors, shapes, numbers, letters and my favorite Dr. Seuss' I read these books often and then keep them close by, like in the car, on the porch if were playing, in the family room. I try to make a big show when I read these book to her too. This way when she is looking at them she will remember the things I have read and the funny way that I read them. I often catch her look at and pretending to read ( even if upside down). Many times I will read some of the books, and then immediately give them to her to look at herself. This was great for crib time too!

Here are some of our favorite books:

Dr. Seuss: ABC's, Hop on Pop, In a people house, Go Dog Go, Hand Hand Fingers Thumb

YOUNGSTOWN's Resources:

Newport Library: Located on the corner of Midlothian Blvd. and Market St. This library has one of the BEST toddler rooms I have ever seen. It is completely enclosed, everything is toddler sized, and there are so many activity centers specially designed to develop the toddlers pre-reading skills. East Branch Library also has a smaller version of this same room.
  • http://shoutyoungstown.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html

Mahoning County Library System: If you are willing to drive a little you can usually find a story hour for your child's age that is convenient to you. There are 16 locations to choose from:
  • http://www.libraryvisit.org/library.aspx?id=106
Fellows Riverside Gardens: FRG's has a really nice little library inside the main building. It is not a lending library, but it is a great place even for kids.
  • http://www.millcreekmetroparks.com/ParksFacilities/nbspnbspnbspnbspDavisVisitorCenter/AntonucciLibrary/tabid/1448/Default.aspx
Children's Museum of the Valley: It is not open now but will reopen in the fall better than ever. I'll post more details as they become available.

Hope this is helpful! If anyone reading this has tips of their own, please comment. My girls are still little and I'm always looking for good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment